Sunday, March 13, 2016

Centaurus A-a strange soap indeed. Great Cakes Challenge Entry


I'm a nerd; I  admit it. I love science and I love space! When  I create soap, I try to unleash my creative side with most of my batches whether it be with bursts of color or details in the soap or with additives and scent mixes. This rimmed soap was a huge challenge with the technique, but I also wanted to do something with the design that pushed my limits and  (hopefully) puts a wild artistic spin on my entry.

Centaurus A is a Galaxy that defies what science thinks they know about Galaxies being that it is neither spiral nor  elliptical, the two types of galaxies that are generally seen. Just like Centaurus A makes scientists go Hmmmmmmm, I wanted this soap to do the same for you who view it! After three tries, mostly because I had to get my recipe just right to fit my silicone cake pan mold without being too thick, here it is, my entry challenge. I used mica in glycerin to 'pre-treat' my mold to not only give flashes of color (like one would see in space) but also a texture to the outside of the soap. Through the center I added a purple mica swirl to add interest to the center of the soap. Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. These turned out super cool, Lynetta!! Love the theme and colors you chose! It's out of this world amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. groovy colours! the mica is really cool too. love your inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fantastic job on your soap! I love the colors and especially the texture on the rims. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete